Friday, September 12, 2008

Pathetic ego booster

I'm not going to lie or sugar coat it...I did it. I committed an act that is just as bad as fishing for compliments. I went on Craigs' List. You might not know what this is, but basically it's a website for everything that involves personal ads. You can get anything from tickets to a ball game, to an autographed picture of Jerry Seinfeld, to sex. Yes, sex. No, I didn't proposition anyone. No, I don't plan on meeting anyone from the Internet. If you want to know the truth, I did it out of curiosity. I wanted to see how many responses I would get out of a generic little blurb that I wrote about myself in about a minute and a half. I wanted my ego stroked, is that so bad? I mean something around here needed to be stroked, so ego it is.

I posted my highly uninteresting, highly typical post before dinner. As of 9:30pm, I had gotten nine responses. Many of them disturbing. Some of them interesting. One of them insulting. I'm staying in this rainy Friday night, mostly because I have an assload of homework to do and I'm partying tomorrow. You know, I try to keep these things in moderation. So, in my procrastination, I was on Wikipedia, jumping around all over the place, from hyperlink to hyperlink when I arrived at the Wiki page for Craigs' List. Thus began my adventure.

I began emailing some guy, who is apparently 24, or at least claims to be, who is employed at a bank, enjoys the same sports teams as I do, etc. etc. He seems cool. Eww..did I really just write that someone who I haven't even met seems cool? Like, totally gag me (Sorry, I had to go all Clueless on that one). So, we're talking and everything between my writing a paper on how I would format my ideal "Republic" (read-I was assigned to compare and contrast my ideas of an Utopia with the ideas of Plato's as described in his Republic).

Mr. E-mail, asked for a picture. Here's where the trouble begins. It's not that I have a problem sharing my picture or anything, it's just that I have this weird paranoia that at best is a quirk and at worst is me being neurotic that it will end up being someone I know on the other end of the computer. That would be....embarassing, I guess. I mean, how do you approach someone that you know who you "found" on some convoluted dating site when you see them. Pretend you don't see them, that would be my solution. Or worse yet, what if I send him my picture and he all the sudden shows up on my doorstep? I know, that's a pretty far stretch, but shit like that happens. Shit, this was all for fun and procrastination, not for sending pictures.

Why do I get myself into these predicaments? Oh well. What's the worst that could happen? A small voice in my head already answered that, by the way. It said, "Umm, he turns into a stalker that slashes your tires and ends up in the backseat of your car with a bottle of honey and some feathers and has the voice of the pedophile on 'Family Guy'." Uhhh...

So, I asked him to send me his picture first. There's a solution to everything...well, at least temporarily.

2 comments:

Greg Voltaire said...

What's the worst that can happen? You could end up in a trashbag in the middle of the Chicago River. If you want my advice (like it's worthwhile), don't give the picture to him. Plain and simple. Meet him first if you're really interested. Very very crowded place. Let several close friends, at least two of them guys in excess of 300 lbs, know you will be there and take some pepper spray. And get a Rapex while you're at it. And maybe a gun too.

Ok, maybe a bit much. And you seem smart enough to know all this. Still though. Tread carfully no matter what you do. This isn't just about embarassment. It's about safety.

Then you can deal with the embarassment thing.

On a lighter note, there was a big CL controversy when a guy posed as a "submissive little slut who wants to get dominated" and then posted the photos and e-mail addresses of something like 150 guys who all said they have 9 inch dicks and want to fuck her. Ok, not lighter. But nobody died.

The Angel and Demon Within said...

If it is just a game you want to play then keep it at that level. You can always say that you don't give out your photo on fist chats.

I met my husband by doing a search on my on-line service company of single guys that lived the same area as I did who were currently on-line. I wasn't looking for a date just someone to talk to on a rainy night. I instant messaged him he responded. Something he said he had never done before.

It was a week or so before any photos were exchanged. I was looking for friends not lovers. We e-mailed back and forth for a month. We then talked and e-mailed for another month after that. By the time we did meet we knew we had the mental and personal chemistry. It was just a matter as to if I was going to scare him off by looks. Something all of us girls fear regardless of how attractive we are.

Play if you want to play, engage if you feel the connection, and cut and run if you feel stalked!

If may be nice to start a relationship without the physical judgments being made right at first. Who knows you may find that your soul mate lies hidden behind 600 pounds of a homebound, balding fifty-year-old Moroccan. Maybe not, but it will allow you to really see what you like in a person before the physical causes you to make a preconceived judgment.