Sunday, January 4, 2009

Case of the blahs

I hate January. I hate February, March, and April for that matter, too. Nothing about these months appeal to me in the slightest bit. Now that we've entered January, I'm feeling depressed. I don't think it's Seasonal Affective Disorder or anything, just a general feeling of fuckkkkkkk let's fast forward to something better. I mean, what good things have actually happened in these months, ever? I urge you to make me a list if you are so inclined. Today I did nothing. I woke up, ate, took my medicines, played a video game, watched some football (yay for the Vikes being out) and then had dinner and fucked around for about four more hours until I came up to my room to download some music, illegally of course. As I selected the "recently added" song menu on my iTunes, I noticed that most of the songs I just downloaded were sappy and some downright pessimistic.

First came The Darkness' "Love is Only a Feeling," a song who's lyrics can say it all- "Love is only a feeling/drifting away/When I'm in your arms, I start believing it's here to stay/But love is only a feeling/anyway, anyway"

Next is Debussy's "Clair de Lune" one of my classical favorites next to Pachebel's Canon and Ave Maria. Something about the song is sad, almost weepy perhaps. I had it on my computer when I first got my computer set up before Freshman year of college, but somehow I deleted it.

Then came "Sea of Love" by Phil Phillips, not necessarily a sad song, but whenever I hear it, I always think about the movie "Frequency" with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel. In the movie, there is a scene where the song is repeated on a record player and Dennis Quaid's character finds a woman dead, he was minutes too late to save her. If that's not sad, I don't know what is.

There's more, but lists bore me after I start them. Hello, ADD. Last night I went to see the Transiberian Orchestra and they basically blew my mind. Amazing music, amazing light show, amazing pyrotechnics, amazing energy. I couldn't believe that they had done a show at 3pm before the 8pm show that I attended because they were all so energetic and enthusiastic. Great time and I highly recommend them, not that they would need my recommendation.

Thursday is my sister's 11th birthday and also the day that I have to go back to campus for Spring RA training. Blah. I'll be glad to go back because I'm tired of the monotony of home, but I will then enter another period of repetition. I know, I know, life is a series of cycles and I should be used to it by now, but can you blame me for seeking more? Everyone wants to break the mold, go against the grain, or whatever cheesy, if relative, metaphor you would like to insert here.

What I should really do is hit the gym so that I can get some endorphins pumping through me, but that seems like it would take soooo much effort. Okay, 20 minutes of yoga at home will have to do.

Until next time..

No comments: