Monday, October 13, 2008

"She sounds hot!"

Can you tell by a person's voice how physically attractive they are? Is it some kind of subliminal connection that one makes to a voice they already know when they are talking on the phone to a person they have never seen before? Maybe it's similar to how pheromones work, maybe a voice can trigger a behavioral response to the stimuli.

A few close friends and I had a girls' night this past weekend. We kicked our male friends out of the room and pulled out the booze. It was a night filled with Southern Comfort and limeade and pictures and prank phone calls. We acted like 15 year old girls on a sugar high during a sleepover. After calling many ex-boyfriends and fucktards that we have met over the years, we decided to call people that we actually liked. My one friend from out of state called a friend from back home. After saying hello quickly, she handed me the phone. I began a soco and lime saturated conversation with a guy whose name I couldn't pronounce and who was getting ready to host a party. My friend pulled up his pictures on Facebook and my drunken horny self was intrigued enough to make a jackass out of myself. "Wow, why didn't you tell me you had a hot fucking body, dude?" I said.

"Are you Facebook stalking me?"
"Ummm....yeah, I am. Sorry."

At that point I heard someone in the background say "Who are you talking to?" over the dunking sound of a ping pong ball being sunk into a cup of beer.

"K's friend from Chicago. She sounds fucking hot!" he replied.

Huh? I mean, thanks for the compliment and all, but you have no idea what I look like. I didn't acknowledge the statement, I just rambled on about shit that I really can't remember. Then, he asked me if I had brown curly hair, which I affirmed kind of creeped out.

"How did you know that??"
"Oh, I just know. I get along great with girls with brown curly hair."

Oh. Uh-huh...I actually wasn't too shocked by this, maybe because of the booze. We chatted for awhile and got each other's numbers since I was talking on my friend's phone.

Isn't it weird how people can have a feeling about how a person looks based on their voice? For instance, sometimes it's easy to tell that you're talking to a black male or an asian woman on the phone. But, what I really mean is beyond this generic labeling. Before I saw a picture of this guy, I thought he had a hot voice, but he sounded kind of southern to me, which might have reminded me of my ex-boyfriend who was from Kentucky (and he was a fucking stud). Then, when I did see his picture, I really did think he was hot. Was I previously influenced by my connection to my hot ex? Maybe. I'm feeling very philosophical today I guess. Taking a few courses at a liberal arts school will do that to a person, I suppose.

Oh, and the next day, mr. "She sounds hot" friended me on Facebook. I guess he wanted to find out if I was what he imagined me to be.

1 comment:

Greg Voltaire said...

Beer earplugs. The equivalent of beer goggles. Makes everything sound hot while drunk.

It depends on what you're into. If you have the southern gentlman picture in your hornyness, you would like the southern cowboy motif. Were you into an older sort of woman, a lady with a demeaning inflection could do it for you. Some men would go insane over a pixie-ish voice, while some like girl next door. Probably whatever your voice sounds like has something to do with how he saw you in his head. If I heard a pixie-ish voice, I would assume it's a petite girl, especially if she did that innocent girl voice. You had Kentuck on your horny, so you though cowboy/farmboy/slight redneck.

But it's only a sound. Which is why the old joke about why phone sex operators are phone sex operators works so well. But there are certain voices that can be associated with certain looks, and curly brown hair is insanely easy to link to a voice. Dirty blond is quite easy too. I would be interested if you had said you had red hair, to see what he does.