Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Let the countdown begin

I'll be 21 in a little under 3 weeks. It's hard to believe that I'm in my third year of college. It seems like a year ago that I got my driver's license and it seems like three months ago that I was first able to legally purchase my first pack of cigarettes (Parliaments). Now I'll soon be able to purchase my own booze without having to expose some cleavage or drop a $10 for someone to run and get me some alcohol. Now, of course the only thing I'll have to look forward to in correlation with age is lower car insurance at 25. How exciting.

Since I'm home for fall break and because I probably won't be home again until Thanksgiving, my older sister is taking me shopping tomorrow for my birthday present. She's a very good gift giver, mostly because she's a terrible bitch most of the time, so when she has the opportunity to make up for it in materialistic ways, she jumps at it. She called me over the weekend and asked me what I wanted. I really hadn't thought about it. I like receiving gifts and all, but by and large, it just escapes my mind. I knew she'd be willing to spend a significant amount of money because that's just the way she is, regardless of her moving out soon (but that's another post entirely, remind me about it sometime and I'll write about it). I thought about what she could get me that I needed. Being a poor college student has provided me with a certain level of frugality, especially in terms of getting essentials from family members when they offer. I looked around my dorm room, feeling satisfied as I cataloged my belongings. I could ask for anti-virus software, but that's so mundane even if it is essential. I could ask for a black ink cartridge since mine is out, but again, very mundane, plus my professors seem to like getting my essays in greens and purples.

Then, I looked through my make-up bag. That could definitely use some upgrading. I usually don't buy make-up too often because when I do purchase make-up, I buy quality products. I prefer MAC cosmetics for my eyes and Bare Minerals for my face because it's so light and doesn't give a girl that caked on clown make-up look. I was first allowed to wear make-up when I was 13, and then it was only neutral eyeshadows and some lip gloss that was really just colored chapstick. By freshman year, I experimented with a few of my older sister's discarded CoverGirl products that she had replaced with pricier and more "sophisticated" name brand products. Soon, I received quite a few compliments at my newfound hobby. One compliment, well I assume it was a compliment, came from this shy, quirky girl in my honors lit class. "You look like a mermaid with your eyeshadow! It's really pretty," she stated quickly and then looked down at her desk. I stuck to this look for awhile, but then after I got sick, I stopped caring about make-up for obvious reasons.

I didn't get back into make-up until right before freshman year of college when my older sister took me to the newly opened MAC store in the local mall. We both got our make-up done by MAC make-up artists and my sister bought me two shades that the artist had used for my eyeshadow. I still have those eyeshadows and they still are in great condition and apply just as good as before, leading me to my love for MAC products. Since then, I've bought several MAC products and I'm going to let my sister purchase me a few more. I think I'll get my make-up done again by a MAC artist and then buy whatever she uses. I'm thinking a Kim Kardashian smokey eye look. We'll see what the artist recommends, though. I'm tempted to get all dolled up and then get my make-up professionally done and then hookup with Douchebag. I mean, smokey eyes can do a lot for a woman, and add in my excellent oral skills, I think he just might cream his pants if I combine the two for him.

I was talking to one of my best friends about the the second hookup with Douchebag and I could feel him shaking his head as I told him through AIM. I didn't mention this in my other post, but after about five minutes of making out, Douchebag's nose started bleeding a little bit. Not profusely or anything, just a little bit. I got kind of freaked out and tried to get up to grab a kleenex, but he insisted it was fine and that it was because he recently rebroke his nose. Apparently he's broken his nose a lot, I know he used to box, but I don't think he's done that in awhile. Anyways, after a few minutes the slight bleeding stopped and we went on our way. I should say that I went on my way, but whatever. When I told my friend this, he said, "That's a sign from every god ever created telling you to stay the fuck away from him." I laughed as I read that, but I mean it could be true. Do things like that happen? I believe that everything happens for a reason, but really? A nose bleed, God? You're going to have to be a little less subtle than that.

Only time will tell, I suppose. As for now, I'm just going to let my philosophical thoughts simmer as I countdown to the possible blackout of my 21st birthday and the many praises my older sister will get after buying me expensive makeup.

2 comments:

Greg Voltaire said...

Spa treatment with the works and a wardrobe makeover by Tim Gunn and a seance with Coco Chanel.

Also, you still have to look forward to 35. You can run for president.

Three weeks until you can legally drink. It's odd. We do these things for years before we are legally allowed, but when we are legally allowed to, there's a collective sigh on our brains. "Now I don't have to lie about it." Even with mundane things you recieve no punishment for doing outside the age limits.

Happy Three Weeks Till Birthdayday

I'm not mean, I'm just not nice. said...

I wouldn't say no to any of those things, especially the seance with Coco. Who wouldn't want to talk to the creator of the little black dress?