Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Damnit, George Carlin!

I'm upset that George Carlin passed away. I'm not upset like I'm crying, but I'm upset because I didn't get to see him live before he passed. He was a hilarious comedian, if you are unaware of him, and I loved the brutality of his act. If you haven't seen his older stuff, you should check it out on glorious Youtube. Whenever I would watch Carlin, I'd feel a bond of meanness. I don't want to put words in a dead man's mouth or anything, but I feel like George would understand my tirades about soccer moms who get bitchy at the Starbucks barista because she forgot to put in an extra shot of espresso. George would have totally understood that and would have called the lady a cunt. I've heard that the best comedians are the comedians who have had a lot of depression and perhaps tragedy in their life. As an E! documentary informed me once upon a time ago, I learned that George Carlin had his fair share of depressing moments. It's one thing for a person to experience loss and tragedy, but it's another for a person to experience them, give it a big fuck you, and turn it into a comedic performance that acts not only as entertainment to others, but also a type of therapy for the comedian. From my limited knowledge of comedians and their lives, I humbly state that George Carlin probably did one of the best jobs of turning his angst into comedy and for that, I salute him. I think every George Carlin fan should tell the dirtiest sex joke to their buddies and have a beer for George in honor of his life.

1 comment:

Greg Voltaire said...

Old post. So sue me.

Marc Maron. He is the Carlin incarnate, and his obvious prodigal son.

And Carlin's earlier work seemed a lot less cynical than his more recent stuff, to me at least. "It's Bad For Ya" brought it back to the loony and less bitter than "You Are All Diseased", which is the magnum opus of mean.

Doncha know.