Monday, March 2, 2009

Only $91?!

Friday afternoon I went home for a doctor's appointment since I have not been able to hear out of my right ear for a week now. Long story short, I had a bad sinus infection and it somehow went to my ear and it's all fucked up. I have ear drops, so don't worry. Although I was pissed when I called to make an appointment with my primary care doctor and told her that I couldn't hear and she said, "What?" Uh..are you mocking me or what?

Deafness aside, I had told my eleven year old sister that I would take her shopping that afternoon since I couldn't afford a birthday present in January when her birthday is. Lucky me I got my student loan refund back and I'm stimulating the fuck out of the economy with it. I needed to run to the mall for a few things anyway and my little sister had an early release day at school, so we grabbed some quick lunch and went to the mall. I asked what store she would like to go to for her gifts and she told me that she'd like to go to Hollister since she heard that they would soon be going out of business. We step into the trendy hipster store and a palm tree frond hit me in the face as I was disoriented by the stench of hookers-in-the-making perfume and hip-hop music blasting in my good ear. I couldn't help but think that I was way too old to be in this store and I'm only 21. How the fuck does that happen?

My sister and I walked around the dark store that literally had about one watt of lighting in the entire store. We found this cute kind of off the shoulder sweater that looked super cute on my sister so I told her to pull it from the rack and try it on. It fit nicely, so I grabbed it. We then went to the clearance section and there was a cute gray vest that she liked and I applauded her style. We got those two things and went to the check-out counter because I told her that maybe she would like to look at another store, too. That was until I found out how much 2 items at Hollister cost. My total was $91 and some change. I gasped when the 14 year old at the counter with her pin-straight hair and braces asked me if it was cash or credit. What in the fuck?! I looked down at my little sister (ok not really down, she's only about 3 inches shorter than I am) and she glanced at me sheepishly and asked if that was too much money. "Um, no. No, it's totally fine," I told her as I reluctantly handed over my debit card to the overtanned bitch behind the register.

We left the store, my little sister happily swinging her new clothes around in the bag. We then went to a store where I could get some clothes. I bought a dress for Spring Fling, a skirt suit outfit that I can wear for interviews and next year for student teaching, a nice going out shirt, and a black camisole. The total was $220, which I thought was reasonable. We left the store with my purchases and my little sister asked if we could go look for some pants for her to match her new sweater. I told her no, that I had spent a lot of money and she got pissed. "That's not fair! You spent $220 on yourself and only $91 on me!" I could feel my blood pressure rise as I saw her face turn red and the first tears of frustration sprinkle out of her eyes. I stood there and tapped my foot and told her that it was my money and that I didn't have to spend any money her, actually and she should be grateful that I got her new clothes. It's not like the kid wants for anything. She has two older sisters who spoil her rotten, not to mention my parents being wrapped around her little manicured finger.

She was visibily pissed, so I started walking away from her, knowing she would follow. She didn't talk to me the whole rest of the time. I asked her if she knew where the good will store was because I was going to drop off the clothes to some kid who would appreciate them. She rolled her eyes and took out her cell phone (yes, she's 11 and has a cell phone) and started texting someone. "Who the fuck are you texting?" Yeah, I say the f-bomb around her, she's used to it. Call me a bad person, whatev. "My friend Diana," she said. I didn't believe her, something about the way she said it was weird. "Prove it," I said and then she responded that fine it was her friend Bryan. Who in the fuck is Bryan and why is he texting my 11 year old sister?! "Give me that phone! This is sister quality time! Give me it!" I reached for it, but she put it back in her pocket. What the fuck is the world coming to that my little sister is texting boys at 11, complaining about not getting enough clothes when I almost dropped a hundo on her, well actually, if you include lunch I did spend $100 on the spoiled little brat.

Gahhh. We got home and our dad was sitting on the couch reading something or whatever he does when he sits on the couch, I was too pissy to notice. "Dad! How do you feel about your eleven year older daughter texting a boy?!" I demanded. He looked up at me and said, "Well. I have one daughter that just moved into a house with her boyfriend, I have another daughter that is away at college, so I guess it's the least of my worries." That's not what I wanted to hear, but I couldn't argue with his logic. But...still. While I was saying this, my little sister had gone upstairs to tell my mom that I had only spend $91 on her but $220 on myself. (To be honest, I was going to get new makeup too, but after her reaction, I couldn't...shh) My mom told her that she was lucky she got anything and yelled at me for spending that much on her.

I can't win, I suppose. What the fuck, eh?


Anyway....
Ex-bff contacted me again and I blew him off again. He wanted to hook up a half hour before I had class. Yeah, right.

Rocker and I are good. He's busy as usual and I'm about to go on Spring Break next week, so hopefully we can make something happen sometime soon. His parents are coming back from their 6 week vacation in Florida (yeah, six weeks) so I think his schedule will clear up a little since his dad will be back to run the business. I would say family business, but I've seen the website and that shit is super professional, it's not just some ma and pa tool store, it's serious shit. It kind of intimidates me that he's pretty wealthy. Not that he talks about money or having it or anything, it's just I know he does. He drives a brand new mustang, has 13 guitars, goes to a shit ton of concerts, has a million gaming systems and games, etc. etc. Whatev, I'm going to look at it as a perk.


Other than that, things have been pretty good. I'll be so glad when Spring Break is finally here so I can just fucking breath a little bit. I've already taken two midterms and I have one paper due this Friday, so other than that the week seems relatively easy, thankfully.

No comments: